Tuesday 31 March 2015

The Story of My Life

Abandoned at the fire house,
I thought I was all alone.
Bless the folks who took me to the foster home.

"Oh mama," I'd say,
"Where are you?"

Looking out the window,
I'd see children holding their parents hands.
But there was no one to hold mine.

As I seen them coming toward me,
a tear dropped down my eye.
I was excited with joy.
They had finally come.

We may not have the same eyes,
we may not have the same skin colour,
our blood may be different,
but in the end,
family is what really matters.

She'd look up to me as her big sister and smile,
I would reassure her that we were together forever.

He was my first hero.
Although I may not admit,
it is true,
I appreciate all you do.
So fortunate is how I feel,
for having a father just like him.

It's a special bond,
a sense of trust that can never be broken.
Hugs and kisses, warmth and caring.
Mother and daughter: A link that can never be undone.

Going back to Korea brought so many wild memories.
Growing up in the foster home,
I never thought I'd visit again.

On that epic journey,
I encountered many struggles,
met new faces,
and found my first love.

I never found that one,
the one who never found me,
the one who gave me life,
the one who abandoned me,
and the one who I call mother.

Oh mother where ever you are,
please be safe.
Never forget that my search is not complete.


This poem unfolds the life of a young girl named Sarah who struggles her way through in an epic search for her biological family. She goes through times that are rough when she just feels like it's hopeless. While other times Sarah is very determined to reunite with her long lost family. But fortunate enough, Sarah has the support of her American family who is by her side every step of the way. In the poem, Sarah describes her relationship with each one of her family members but it is her relationship with her father that is very special. Even before Sarah was born, her biological father had passed away in a car accident, so she never really had a father figure in her life. But when she meets her new father, Sarah immediately is feeling the love and she develops that father daughter relationship.



No comments:

Post a Comment